- "I'LL NEVER GET A DATE NOW!"
- — Brent Ernst's battle cry
Before the zombie outbreak in Fortune City, he worked as the mascot Slappy for Kids' Choice Clothing. Slappy rolls around on oversized rollerskates, wielding dual Flamethrowers and a Fire Spitter when stationary which is explosive, and will knock Chuck down with just splash damage.
Everyone Knows Slappy
Dead Rising 2
Before the outbreak, Brent was going to go on a first date with Louise Jameson, a fellow mascot performer who worked with Brent. However, Louise was killed by zombies during the initial outbreak. As a result, Brent now stalks Fortune City to find the alleged person who caused the outbreak. Brent encounters Chuck and blames him for the outbreak, as seen on TV. Chuck tells him he didn't do it and that he shouldn't believe everything he sees on TV. Chuck tries to walk away, but Brent stalks him, prompting Chuck to ask if he's okay and if he needs something. Brent faces him and tells him of how the zombies tore Louise apart just when they were about to go on their first date. Blaming Chuck for what happened, he attacks him with a pair of flamethrowers. After he is defeated, he crawls to Louise's body, cuddles up to her and appears to die, only to sit up a few seconds later and shout, "Don't worry, kids! Slappy will live forever!" before finally dying.
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record
Frank finds Louise Jameson dead in front of Kids' Choice Clothing and is confronted by Brent Ernst in his Slappy costume. Brent tells Frank he's seen him on TV and knows he is good at "fixing things", (showing that he is more cut off from the reality in this game). But Frank dismisses Brent and suggests that he bring Brent to the Safe House. Seeing that Frank is "refusing to fix Louise", he becomes enraged and accuses Frank of liking the outbreak so he can take pictures. He then takes out his flamethrowers and begins to attack Frank.
After he is defeated, he crawls to Louise's corpse and proclaims that they will all be fixed in the "toy box in the sky". He does the same trend as the original game by sitting up a few seconds later and shouting, "Don't worry, kids! Slappy will live forever!" before finally dying.
Brent is one of the crazed survivors Frank can fight in Sandbox Mode. He will prowl around Palisades Mall like he does in Story Mode. Once defeated he drops his weapon and $25,000.
Dead Rising 3
While Brent does not make an appearance in Dead Rising 3, Slappy is referenced several times:
- In a toy store named Slappy's Ultimate Playhouse as well as the family restaurant Slappy's Fun Food Shack. Several references to Louise can be found at these locations as well.
- The Fireworks Van has a giant Slappy face on the hood.
- The Party Van is Slappy themed and has a giant Slappy head on the roof. It can be combined with a Street Cleaner to create the Party Slapper.
- Slappy's face appears on the shoulders of the Football Jersey located inside SporTrance in Central City.
For battle style and tactics, see Everyone Knows Slappy.
- Brent makes a cameo on the home page for the Dead Rising 2 website, located between Stacey and Chuck.
- Brent is one of only three psychopaths in the game (besides Carl Schliff and Evan MacIntyre) who pose no apparent threat to anyone other than Chuck or Frank. All of the others either have murdered innocent people, or otherwise pose a threat to them.
- Brent bears some similarities with Paul Carson from Dead Rising, both being socially awkward teenagers that attempt to take disproportionate revenge for any perceived slight against them. Both of them also wield fire-based weapons. He also shares similarities with Adam MacIntyre, both being children's entertainers in outlandish costumes who use fire attacks. They also both carry two weapons; while Adam carries two melee weapons, Brent is also the only psychopath to carry two ranged weapons. He also shares similarities with Roger Withers since they both use dual weapons and use spin attacks to disorientate the player. Both of them are also vulnerable to attacks while stunned. His death scene is similar to Steven Chapman's, as both seem dead but pop back up to give one last statement.
- Contrastingly, in Off the Record, Brent thinks of Frank as some kind of handyman and believes that he can "fix" his toy, Suzy. When Frank says he can't, Brent attacks Frank under the assumption Frank wanted the outbreak to happen.
- In Off the Record, Brent shows a much more obsessed manner with the Slappy persona, to the point of not thinking he (Brent) himself will die, but that Slappy and his girlfriend will just go to that "Big Toy Box in the Sky". There is no way of knowing if Brent attacked anyone else, though it is possible: his outrage because Frank couldn't "fix" Suzy could easily have been directed at others.
- Slappy is featured in a Kid's Choice advertisement at the middle of the Food Court.
- Not counting Snowflake the Tiger, Brent is the youngest psychopath in the series at just 18 years old.
- He is the first psychopath to dual wield firearms.
- Brent shares the name with a producer of Blue Castle Games named Brent Arnst.
- His name is also very similar to that of New Jersey comedian Bret Ernst.
- When Brent does his charging attack, it is possible to "fly" out of the area. If Chuck jumps off the railing while Brent is firing on both sides, Chuck may ascend upwards and out of the area while having the "fallback" animation. There is no way to go back down, leaving the only option to restart from last save.
- If you are playing co-op and this happens, the second player can still kill Slappy. However, after the cutscene, the "flying" Chuck starts falling back down. If that Chuck was in the air for too long, he may actually fall outside of the map and land in an "Underworld" area, which is a flat land below the map. You can walk around in this area. Unfortunately, the only way to get out is to load a previous save.
- Brent has two different death animations: If Chuck/Frank kills him while he is standing up, he will spin around and fall to the ground. If Chuck/Frank kills him while he is sitting down, he will try to get back up, only to humorously trip and fall down again.
- Brent is one of the few Psychopaths that uses a Combo Weapon.
- His boss theme is called Mascot, however on the Dead Rising 2 Soundtrack, it's named Slappy.
- Brent is one of the easiest psychopaths in the game, as he has 3 ways of being stunned. If you spray a water gun on him, he'll start drying himself off. If you spray a fire extinguisher at him, it'll jam his Flame throwers. And finally, if you preform an aerial attack on him, he'll get knocked over. With the correct timing, it's possible to stun lock Brent.
- Brent is one of the two psychopaths required for the Achievement Tough Guy, the other being Reed Wallbeck.
- During the fight with Brent, he'll sometimes laugh in a manner similar to Death Note protagonist Light Yagami, another character famously voiced by Brent's voice actor, Brad Swaile.
- Brent's appearance looks similar to Big Willy from the video game Destroy All Humans!: Big Willy Unleashed. They both are mascots wearing red overalls and have black hair. They also both have huge grins on their faces.
- His death cutscene is one of the only ones, along with Ted's and Brandon's, where Chuck doesn't appear.
- Brent is one of the few Psychopaths who uses a Combo Weapon (the Flamethrower). Others include Reed (Rocket Launcher) and Chuck (Molotov).
- Brent deals with both protagonists in different ways. When it comes to Chuck, Brent is hostile during the entire encounter. However, regarding Frank West, Brent is fairly friendly toward Frank until the latter denies having the ability to "fix" Suzy. This is not entirely unexpected; Chuck was framed for starting the outbreak, Frank was not. A number of other characters also show differing reactions, though they might nonetheless manifest similar mission requirements (for instance, in DR2, Cinda Smith refuses to follow Chuck without Jasper because she doesn't trust him. In OTR, she won't go without Jasper because they are both huge fans of Frank).
- In Sandbox Mode if Frank kills Slappy while he does the fire-spin (by throwing stuff while Brent spins) even if he dies he still shoots his flamethrower.
- In OTR, Frank can find and use the Slappy masks that Brent uses during the fight to put on zombies for outtake shots. It is found in Kid's Choice Clothing near the back where there is an unlimited amount of them.
- Slappy will sometimes say "Fantastic!" during his fight, a reference to Frank West.
- The voice actor who plays Brent also voices one of the looters.
- Brent is the only psychopath whose actual body type can't be seen, considering the slappy outfit makes him look fat and you can't see if he actually is or not.
- By using a program called QuickBMS Slappy's face can be revealed but unfortunately during the cutscene Slappy doesnt have a lipsync his face being stiff as the survivors Chuck rescues. Unfortunately if QuickBMS is used at Louise Jameson she doesnt have a head under her mask. The same thing goes to WWJWD victim Justin Tetherford.
- Somewhere between Dead Rising 2 and Dead Rising 3, Slappy's sponsor changes from Kid's Choice Clothing to Ultimate Playhouse.
- Possibly, Brent was originally going to be in a Slappy's store in Royal Flush Plaza, but he was "moved" to Palisades Mall's Kids' Choice Clothing. This fact seen in Royal Flush Plaza concept art.
- Brent seemingly pulls his flamethrowers out of nowhere, adding to the humor of the Dead Rising series.
- The mascot Brent is dressed up as was named after Slappy the Living Dummy from the Goosebumps tv series.
- He's also similar to Mickey Mouse as he has black & white cartoons presumably from the 30's to 50's, a female counterpart (Suzie) and popular attractions and stores.