|Dead Rising 2||Dead Rising 3|
- "Brutal and effective, endorsed by vikings and zombie killers alike."
- —Combo card description
It can be made immediately after receiving access to the first maintenance room (via a scratch card combo) by taking a fire axe from the safe house, and by picking up a sledge hammer from around the corner from the maintenance room. It is before the doors to the mall.
This combo weapon is described as:
- "Imagine a bat with the head of an axe and the head of a sledgehammer both positioned on the business end. Smacking something with that is not going to leave much in the way of solids."
Attacks and combo card
|Defiler combo card|
|Prestige points||Main: 250 PP
Alternate: 350 PP (while spinning)
|Main attack (press /)||The player will perform an upward swing and two horizontal swings by tapping / three times.[note 1]|
|Alternate attack (hold /)||The player will perform a quick horizontal swing, much like the sledge hammer, by holding / briefly. Press and hold / again to perform a second swing. The alternate attack is a horizontal cut, which is effective at clearing a path.
If the combo card is owned, holding the attack button after doing this will cause the player to start spinning around, swinging the Defiler around in a 360° motion. While this is also fairly devastating, after swinging, the player must stop, stagger backwards, and regain their balance; an action which, more often than not, puts them in the reach of zombies they did not pulverize.
While dealing a high amount of damage, the Defiler's swing speed is fairly slow, and some psychopaths may not only recover from one attack, but might even counter attack before the next hit connects. Take this weapon into fights with experience, rather than for its brute strength.
|Other attack(s)||Alternate with combo card: After the initial horizontal swing, holding / will make the player spin around rapidly, Defiler extended, while slightly moving forward. It is possible to end this attack early by releasing / or to extend it by holding /.|
|Description||Brutal and effective, endorsed by vikings and zombie killers alike.|
|–All prestige points listed here are halved when the weapon’s combo card is not owned and the player only has a scratch card.|
Combo card location
In Dead Rising 2, the combo card for the Defiler is unlocked by leveling up. It is the 17th card out of 34 total cards awarded by leveling, and is generally unlocked at levels 25 or 26.
Weapon component locations
Dead Rising 2 general locations of weapons needed to make the Defiler:
- This weapon's secondary (combo card) attack is a reference to another Capcom game. In the Monster Hunter franchise, when the player's character uses a hammer-type weapon's fully charged attack while running, the character performs a spinning attack almost identical to the Defiler's, spinning around with the weapon extended and moving forward slowly.
- If timed correctly, the Defiler's unique overhead jump attack can be used to negate fall damage.
- Despite being fashioned to look like a battle axe, the Defiler is still used as a hammer, albeit with a wider surface area which is used to impact more force.
- Even though only 1 fire axe is required to craft it, the Defiler appears to be made of one sledgehammer and two axes.
- Tape it or Die blogger Wallace Hertzog came up with the idea of the Defiler, according to fellow blogger Johnny Pipes. This was while the four bloggers were hiding in KokoNutz Sports Town after the Fortune City outbreak:
- "Wallace, bless his heart, is still all up-in-up. Trying to build the best weapon. It's so cute. He actually came up with something pretty good today. Simple, too. An axe and a sledgehammer. Put together. Makes sense if you think about it. Both axes and sledges only really face in two directions. Front and back. But what about the sides. Well, Wallace basically squigged the two together (that's a technical term). Now you have a four-directional zombie-whacker! Looks pretty good in action, too!"
- "Only thing I don't like is the name. "The Defiler". Ech. Sounds like the pipe system on Waters Avenue back in Costa Mesa. That was defiled."
- "But good work, Wally! Nicely done! Johnny Pipes is proud."
|Animation name||Animation shared with|
Unique to Defiler
Unique to Defiler
Unique to Defiler
- Frushtick, Russ (August 31, 2010). "'Dead Rising 2' Combo Weapons Guide - Duct Tape Is Your Friend". MTV. Archived from the original on February 20, 2016.
- Kilpatrick, Johnny (September 17, 2010). "I've Got a Beautiful Feeling! Everything's Going My Way!". Tape It Or Die.